ADVERTISEMENT

Att. Lafayette/ Baton Rouge Tech alums!

You may be talking about the Laffayette function. I should have specified that I'll be attending the one in Baton Rouge. That event is scheduled for this evening.

Thank you for giving me a mild heart attack though.

Sorry about that. Sounds like the Baton Rouge function was very well attended. What did you think?

I think we had a pretty good turn out overall. It was nice to have a Tech presence in Baton Rouge. That was pretty cool to me.

I got to talk with Jim Oakes very briefly. Basically told me money is the big issue and the challenge facing the program. They are trying to find more ways to move the program forward. I didn't get a chance to ask him about our conference affiliation... WAC vs. a possible C-USA move. My bad on that.

Coach Dooley did a good job speaking and reminded me in some ways of a young Nick Saban. Seemed really business-like, stressed attention to detail, and bringing a mental toughness to the game. Of course, Dooley doesn't seem like a Grade A a-hole like Saban is though. . He did say we would sign two QB's this year. Said he would address needs two classes ahead of time. We need to sign 3-4 WR's this year, and we got stocked up on DL's last year. One positive he noted was when I asked him about his philosophy on the JC players. It sounds like he's going to end this trend of Tech signing a slew of JC players to fill out a class. He's only going to sign them as needed and he wants to build the program through the high school ranks. He seems very enthusiastic about our staff and seems to have a lot of good contacts in the state. Wants to establish a Tech presence down in BR. I asked him about Phillip Livas and how/if he'd contribute next year. DD said you never know with kids till they strap it up but the staff is really excited about this kid. Said Tech needs big help in the punt return game so Livas might get a look there. Said the defense will be much better (b/c it can't get any worse). Wants to try and get as much pressure with the front four as possible but still expect us to blitz when needed. If I remember correctly he said our DB's should be pretty solid. Also, he said he didn't let any of the current signees visit the locker room during the recruiting trips b/c it was in such need of repair. He feels much better about our facilities for the future.

Mason Hitt and Matthew Broha were in attendance along with Mark Dillard's parents. I also got to say hello to Sean Cangelosi who lives in the BR area. Sean and I were at Tech at the same time and I remembered him from BR when I made my extremely brief walk-on appearance at Tech. Ha, I can't stress brief enough.lol

All in all it was a great event and I have to say I was pumped listening to the progress the university itself is making in regards to academics and facilities. We are building an engineering research facility that when completed will be among the top 5 in the country. The intrumural center is also adding 3 swimming pools. And student housing will be built on the old tennis courts. Good days ahead for Tech my friends!

Oh Coach Rupp did speak, and took entirely too long but I feel very good about him and staff. He seems to be very adept at video and scouting procedures and said he had some good contacts over seas. With the addition of the two former LSU players, I'd say our basketball future is improving by the minute.

Sorry I didn't have any more info but I'll try to do better next time. Go Dawgs!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT