ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Jaylon Ferguson - The Athletic Profile

Godogs89

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2015
Murfreesboro, TN
The “Meet the Prospect” series highlights an underrated senior NFL prospect with a scouting report, interview and glimpse at what NFL scouts think of the player.

At this time last year, NFL scouts were buzzing about a Conference USA pass rusher named Marcus Davenport, who was considered a top-100 prospect with first-round upside. He impressed scouts as a senior to cement his standing in the first round, prompting the New Orleans Saints to trade up and draft him No. 14 overall.

This season, Louisiana Tech redshirt senior EDGE Jaylon Ferguson (6-4, 267, 4.74) is the Conference USA pass rusher with top-100 talent who has scouts buzzing. Although not quite the caliber of athlete as Davenport, some believe he also has first-round upside, depending on how he performs in 2018. Ferguson enters his final collegiate season with 27.5 career sacks, which is good for second-best in school history.

Ferguson, who is on pace to graduate in a few months, can earn top-50 draft grades from scouts with a strong senior season, including a showdown this Saturday in Baton Rouge against LSU. Tigers head coach Ed Orgeron on Ferguson: “We have to know where he is at all times.”

The Scouting Report
After redshirting his first year on campus, Ferguson earned Freshman All-America honors in 2015 and set a school record with 14.5 sacks as a sophomore in 2016. His production dipped as a junior last season, but he still led Louisiana Tech in tackles for loss (9.5), sacks (7.0) and blocked kicks (two).

It is easy to spot Ferguson on film as he is routinely the first defensive lineman out of his stance, using his initial quickness to get blockers off-schedule from the get-go. Once he attacks the outside shoulder of the offensive tackle, he has the finishing motor to capture the corner and close on the quarterback. In the run game, Ferguson has outstanding grip strength and active hands to set a physical edge.

Like most collegiate edge rushers, Ferguson is still learning how to patch together his arsenal of moves into a more efficient pass rush. He needs to develop counter measures to better anticipate and answer blockers when his first-step quickness doesn’t get the job done.

A key area where scouts want to see improvement is Ferguson’s full-game stamina. He plays with an outstanding motor, but has had trouble in the past sustaining that energy for all four quarters, wearing down later in games.

What NFL scouts are saying
“Man, Jaylon brings it. You love the intensity. Could he be a better tactician? Yeah, you don’t always see the details, but he gives you a solid starting point for a pass rusher with that get-off and length.” – NFC East scout

The Interview
The Athletic: You had SEC programs looking at you in high school – when did you start playing football and why did you choose Louisiana Tech?

Ferguson: I started playing football in pee-wee when I was 8. I had to wait until my brother was ready. I played through high school and then going into my junior year, Louisiana Tech was the first school that offered me. Coach Joe Sloan (assistant head coach), he was the first coach I met and he’s still with me. When I met him, things started clicking. And then going into my senior year, there were more and more offers. The biggest schools were probably Tennessee, Ole Miss and Central Florida. But I was locked into Louisiana Tech at that point. I was already committed and wanted to honor that.

One thing I know when I study Louisiana Tech players, they will have tape vs. big time competition because there seems to always be an SEC opponent on the schedule. This year that’s no exception with LSU and Mississippi State on the schedule, do you feel any extra pressure facing SEC programs, knowing scouts are going to be especially glued to those matchups?

Not really. We’ve played Mississippi State a few times the last three years. Played South Carolina last year. The big stage isn’t a problem – been there, done that. We always hold our own to the end. It’s not going to put more pressure on me. Just another game, I’ll do whatever I can do to win.

Did you come close to declaring for the draft after last season? Did you submit your name for a grade?

I submitted my name to see what it was like and go through the process. There was a point where I was considering leaving, but there were things I still wanted to do at Louisiana Tech like a conference championship and the sack record. And I think it was a competition with myself to come back. There were more reasons to come back than to go. And I had my son last year so I wanted to spend more time with him. I might not have been able to if I was going through the draft process.

What is your best strength on the football field?

My pass rush. I love third and long or second and long. I start to foam at the mouth. And I think my leadership skills are getting better. I’m more verbal, especially compared to last year. I can get everyone going. I can be the rah-rah guy if needed.

What is your favorite go-to pass rush move?

My speed-to-power is crazy. I’m coming off the ball hard, hard, hard. I’ll run past you or run through you, which sets up my inside and outside moves the whole game. Speed-to-power is the first thing I’ll do.

Your position coach, Rick Petri, he’s helped put several players into the NFL – what have you learned the most from him?

A lot of stuff off the field. Like how to study film. He teaches the game of football. And not just defensive end, but all across the ball. It helps me understand the defense more, which helps improve my rush when I know what else is happening.

Going into your senior season, what is the one main area you’re looking to improve?

I’m looking to get better against the run. I play well vs. the run, but I want to get better. I don’t want to be known just as a pass rusher. I want to be a pass rusher and run stopper.

You set a school-record with 14.5 sacks as a sophomore, but saw your sack total fall to seven last year – do you think there was a specific reason for the drop off or what do you think the difference was?

Probably just closer games so opponents were running the ball. Fewer shootouts and chances to get after the quarterback. And I had more attention on me last year. Coming off a 14-sack season, I had people going after me. Seven sacks last year, I’m trying to double that this year. Get back to double-digits.

Is there an NFL pass rusher you like to study or pattern your game after?

I pattern my game after Jason Taylor, we do it the same way. Long, lengthy frame. I study a lot of his film. Especially the club move and speed-to-power. And Khalil Mack, because he’s the best in the NFL right now.

At what point did you realize the NFL was a realistic goal for you?

I still haven’t hit that point yet. I’m still doing my thing as a Bulldog. I’m locked in and focused on winning a conference championship.

When I study the Louisiana Tech offense, I really like what I see from guard O’Shea Douglas. He’s a mean dude and likes to bully defenders. Going up against him in practice, what do you like best about his game?

He’s like my best friend off the field. And he moved to offensive tackle this year. He’s my one-on-one every day in practice. And I feel like if I can beat him, I can beat anyone. Like you said, he’s a mean dude. It’s great competition between both of us.

Not including your teammates in practice, who do you think is the best offensive tackle opponent you have faced over your career?

Forrest Lamp for Western Kentucky two years ago. He has strong hands. Really strong dude. I was only a sophomore that year so I think I can give him more of a fight now.

What do you like to do away from the game?

Most of my free time goes to my son.

Fast forward five years from now, where do you see yourself?

Hopefully, somewhere warm playing football. I’m not really a fan for the cold. Not a big fan of the snow. But hopefully playing football. It’d be cool to be reunited with one of my teammates. Like Vernon Butler in Carolina.

Photo: Bobby McDuffie/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News