ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Sonny Cumbie Radio Interview on SportsTalk 97.7 FM - 9.9.2024

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
Sonny Cumbie spoke with Sean Fox on The Sports Company this afternoon.

Notes from the interview:

- How'd you spend your Saturday? I spent it with my boys, watched a lot of football from a fan perspective. Watched Tennessee and NC State, finished the night watching Washington State & Texas Tech + NMSU & Liberty. How about the finish in Ok State and Arkansas? Wild ending. Really good football on Saturday.
- NIU beating Notre Dame and many near upsets and all the chaos...Certainly seems that we are headed for a chaotic year. It's so early that you are still feeling out your personnel and who is each team. There is a lot of turnover in rosters that challenges your chemistry.
- On injuries this week? We will practice tonight. I fully expect Jack to practice, we'll see more on Tuesday and Wednesday how he moves around and where he's truly out. That'll determine if he can play, but I'm encouraged with where he's at in terms of his chances to play. Crosby should be ready to go, he practiced last Friday. Nate Jones will be back after missing first game with concussion.
- On needs for improvement on offense? Have to throw it and catch it better. Have to make the routine play. We've worked on it a lot. We didn't catch it well, we didn't have good ball security. We work on ball security more than any other place I've been. We have to create more space in run game. Nicholls played a tough box, but we have to create more space. NC State will use a different structure, but we have to create more space.
- On Jimmy Holliday's role in the offense? We can use him a little like Smoke, but he's more top end speed. He doesn't make you miss as good, but he's powerful. He's played a lot of football, over 600 career snaps. I think his experience, his top end speed that is as good as anyone we'll play. I'm excited to use his vertical threat in passing game.
- How important is it to get NC State in tough down and distances on offense? Those guys like Fields, Burnett, and Evans can really rush the passer. We break up our front some and they can cause some issues. NC State will try to run it early on. We have to impact McCall, get hits on him. Need to create a few takeaways. We have to hit the quarterback, change up the looks for the QB and center. Those guys are really good over there. Tennessee is really good, top 10 team in the country. This is a very good team we are playing this weekend.
- On how much you study NC State/Tennessee with it being a blowout? You probably don't use it as much as you watch the Western Carolina and last years film. Doeren has done a great job, last week is an anomaly. They are tough, physical team. They play that game every week. McCall is really good at QB, defense really comes after you.
- On QB Grayson McCall and the problems he poses? He makes plays with his feet and has really developed as a passer. He was so good at spread option as a young guy, but he's gotten much better throwing the football. He keeps so many plays alive, he's seen every look you can throw at him. Super talented kid with a ton of experience.

Reactions: rafesemmes
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.