ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Trump a Breath of Fresh Air

rhshirley

Hall of Famer
Jan 17, 2008
Dallas
I know. Trump is Trump. But, I love having him in the mix. He's the only guy in the race that is not pre-programmed with politician-speak, has the business acumen to salvage this otherwise unsalvageable economy, and has the moxy to kick Putin in the nuts.

I would love to see Trump chew Hillary to shreds in a debate and then look at her and say Hillary, YOU'RE FIRED!

He will say what a lot of Conservatives are thinking which is great and he may force some of the better candidates to shift further right as well. For now its a toss up for me between Walker and Paul.

I know. Trump is Trump. But, I love having him in the mix. He's the only guy in the race that is not pre-programmed with politician-speak, has the business acumen to salvage this otherwise unsalvageable economy, and has the moxy to kick Putin in the nuts.

I would love to see Trump chew Hillary to shreds in a debate and then look at her and say Hillary, YOU'RE FIRED!

No, I think Ben Carson is another that thinks and speaks like a normal person. A very smart normal person, but a normal person that may actually care more about the country and its well-being than about himself. I like his world view better than Trumps. I wouldn't be opposed to Trump as VP though!

A candidate that isn't a politician will not get elected president. Trump, Fiorina, and Carson were done before they got started. I think our best bet is John Kasich. He's the governor of an important swing state. The first thing they'll say to knock down a governor is no foreign policy experience. Kaisch was in congress for 19 years and served on the house armed services committee. He was chairman of the budget committee the last time we had a balanced budget. In Ohio he turned a $8 billion budget deficit into a surplus and doubled their rainy day fund without raising taxes. I think Kasich is the right guy for the job this time but it'll probably be Rubio or Bush vs. Clinton.

No, I think Ben Carson is another that thinks and speaks like a normal person. A very smart normal person, but a normal person that may actually care more about the country and its well-being than about himself. I like his world view better than Trumps. I wouldn't be opposed to Trump as VP though!
Oh, I agree that Ben Carson is not of the politician-speak ilk, but my statement was meant to be read in total, not segmented. I was saying that Trump (imo) is the candidate that is least preprogrammed with political-speak, AND has the most business acumen, AND has the most moxy.

That does not mean that he has the most political skill, but I think we are at a point that we need a butcher, not a surgeon (no swipe at Dr. Carson intended).

A candidate that isn't a politician will not get elected president. Trump, Fiorina, and Carson were done before they got started. I think our best bet is John Kasich. He's the governor of an important swing state. The first thing they'll say to knock down a governor is no foreign policy experience. Kaisch was in congress for 19 years and served on the house armed services committee. He was chairman of the budget committee the last time we had a balanced budget. In Ohio he turned a $8 billion budget deficit into a surplus and doubled their rainy day fund without raising taxes. I think Kasich is the right guy for the job this time but it'll probably be Rubio or Bush vs. Clinton.
John Kasich? :zzz:

Oh, I agree that Ben Carson is not of the politician-speak ilk, but my statement was meant to be read in total, not segmented. I was saying that Trump (imo) is the candidate that is least preprogrammed with political-speak, AND has the most business acumen, AND has the most moxy.

That does not mean that he has the most political skill, but I think we are at a point that we need a butcher, not a surgeon (no swipe at Dr. Carson intended).

I follow you now. Carson is my favorite, but to tell you the truth I'd take anyone with conservative values and who isn't a career politician. I'm looking for someone like George Washington that is looking to serve the country and not themselves. Someone who is willing to sacrifice a few years of their life to fully devote themselves to making this a better country. Someone who isn't going to be corrupted by power. I'm not so sure Trump, although he's not a politician, isn't looking to serve himself...at least in part. I mean, he kind of has a reputation to be that way.

I do agree that they will have to have moxy...or at least a stubborn streak and the rocks to stand on their principles.

Reactions: rhshirley
I love the fact that Trump is speaking his mind which mirrors what many conservatives are thinking. The left has had this hands off stance over just about anything they want for quite some time with the right being too timid to call them on their BS for fear of being politically incorrect. Trump is a breath of fresh air with is speech. I feel that Trump will be the candidate that will break the ice on many of the ills we face by calling it like it is without apologies. This will benefit the other candidates and hopefully allow them to also speak freely without the stigma of being labeled politically incorrect. However I think Trump will not be the candidate that wins. Paul made a serious mistake on his stance on the patriot act.

I love the fact that Trump is speaking his mind which mirrors what many conservatives are thinking. The left has had this hands off stance over just about anything they want for quite some time with the right being too timid to call them on their BS for fear of being politically incorrect. Trump is a breath of fresh air with is speech. I feel that Trump will be the candidate that will break the ice on many of the ills we face by calling it like it is without apologies. This will benefit the other candidates and hopefully allow them to also speak freely without the stigma of being labeled politically incorrect. However I think Trump will not be the candidate that wins. Paul made a serious mistake on his stance on the patriot act.
Exactly right. That's a primary reason I won't support Paul; although I'd certainly vote for him if he was the standard-bearer.

Last edited:
It's possible for someone who isn't supposed to be there to have a chance late only because nobody is attacking him...like Santorum in 2012. He slipped by while Romney and Gingrich were going at it. But lets save some time and money. There will be about 20 candidates but in the end it's Bush, Rubio, or Walker vs. Clinton.

It's possible for someone who isn't supposed to be there to have a chance late only because nobody is attacking him...like Santorum in 2012. He slipped by while Romney and Gingrich were going at it. But lets save some time and money. There will be about 20 candidates but in the end it's Bush, Rubio, or Walker vs. Clinton.
I think I would be quite happy with either Rubio or Walker, especially if they can be emboldened by Trump. But let's not be dismissive of the Trump candidacy and what it represents.

Among several things, we should be reminded that government should not be the exclusive domain of professionals. A great deal of our deep national difficulty is because we HAVE been persuaded that government is too big and complex to be handled by anyone BUT professional politicians. That is WRONG THINKING, and shame on us for believing that lie. Today more than ever before, anyone who can withstand the rigors of a national campaign, regardless of whether they have ever held any public office, is worthy of full consideration as a candidate.

Consider what supporting professional politicians has produced: Obama, Biden, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, John Kerry, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, Reed. The discouragingly long, long list of deeply incompetent "public servants" elected from the ranks of professional politicians is CONDEMNING EVIDENCE that there is no basis for continuing to support that pathway as the only legitimate way to candidacy for high office.

Listen to what Trump said in his remarks yesterday when he announced his candidacy. How many of you have said the same things or felt the same way? Now ask yourself who among the presidential candidates that are professional politicians intend to CHANGE the way we are governed, as compared to MANAGING the way we are governed. Therein lies the litmus test.

Last edited:
I think I would be quite happy with either Rubio or Walker, especially if they can be emboldened by Trump. But let's not be dismissive of the Trump candidacy and what it represents.

Among several things, we should be reminded that government should not be the exclusive domain of professionals. A great deal of our deep national difficulty is because we HAVE been persuaded that government is too big and complex to be handled by anyone BUT professional politicians. That is WRONG THINKING, and shame on us for believing that lie. Today more than ever before, anyone who can withstand the rigors of a national campaign, regardless of whether they have ever held any public office, is worthy of full consideration as a candidate.

Consider what supporting professional politicians has produced: Obama, Biden, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, John Kerry, McConnell, Boehner. The list of deeply incompetent "public servants" elected from the ranks of professional politicians is CONDEMNING EVIDENCE that there is no basis for continuing to support that pathway to candidacy.

Listen to what Trump said in his remarks yesterday when he announced his candidacy. How many of you have said the same things or felt the same way? Now ask yourself who among the presidential candidates that are professional politicians intend to CHANGE the way we are governed, as compared to MANAGING the way we are governed. Therein lies the litmus test.

*clapping*:clap:*clapping* Completely agree.

Consider what supporting professional politicians has produced: Obama, Biden, Hillary Clinton, John McCain, John Kerry, McConnell, Boehner, Pelosi, Reed. The discouragingly long, long list of deeply incompetent "public servants" elected from the ranks of professional politicians is CONDEMNING EVIDENCE that there is no basis for continuing to support that pathway as the only legitimate way to candidacy for high office.

I don't think you should have to be a career politician to be president, but your first job in politics isn't going to be the highest office in the world. Trump should've ran for mayor or governor first if he wanted to be president. He has no chance.

I like Rubio as a VP candidate. I'd rather have a former governor in the top spot. But since winning elections is more about likability than it is about resume, we may need Rubio to win.

I don't think you should have to be a career politician to be president, but your first job in politics isn't going to be the highest office in the world. Trump should've ran for mayor or governor first if he wanted to be president. He has no chance.

I like Rubio as a VP candidate. I'd rather have a former governor in the top spot. But since winning elections is more about likability than it is about resume, we may need Rubio to win.
You are caught up in the wrong thinking that we have been conditioned to accept. Eisenhower's ONLY elective office was as President. Obama was a U.S. senator for less than one term and half of that time was spent campaigning for president.

Again, any candidate that can successfully navigate and withstand the scrutiny and pressure of a modern election campaign has demonstrated the ability to manage the pressures of the office of the presidency. Prior elective office does not "prepare" a candidate to be the President. Prior elective office only teaches a candidate how to CAMPAIGN for office; how to cater to certain demographics; and how to sufficiently endear oneself to the Press.

If a presidential candidate can deal with the national Press and appeal to enough of the general public to meaningfully register in the polls without having held prior elective office, that person has demonstrated the intelligence, resourcefulness, toughness, energy, and resiliency to be a worthy candidate for President.

Reactions: dan the man 02
Between us guys we all have our favorites. I'm very afraid it's gonna be decided by who all the gals like.
The outcome will definitely be the result of "group-think."

And, just to be clear, I'm not necessarily stumpin' for Trump. I'm just an advocate for not eliminating someone from consideration just because they haven't taken the path of a career politician.

The outcome will definitely be the result of "group-think."

And, just to be clear, I'm not necessarily stumpin' for Trump. I'm just an advocate for not eliminating someone from consideration just because they haven't taken the path of a career politician.

That won't be Trump's entire problem. His other problem is going to be his 20% favorable rating among REPUBLICANS and republican leaning independents. Now they're saying he had to hire actors to cheer at his announcement. I don't believe he's a serious candidate.

That won't be Trump's entire problem. His other problem is going to be his 20% favorable rating among REPUBLICANS and republican leaning independents. Now they're saying he had to hire actors to cheer at his announcement. I don't believe he's a serious candidate.
You're still missing the point. It's not about Trump per se, although I agreed with what he said, It's about how we, the voters, determine who is qualified to run for president.

Last edited:
Obama isn't leaving the White House (The People's House) guys. *poop*
I've got a neighbor that thinks he will suspend the constitution, institute marshal law, kill the elections, and remain in the white house. To add to that, one of the reasonings is that he is driving the country into ruin so he can institute all those measures.

I've got a neighbor that thinks he will suspend the constitution, institute marshal law, kill the elections, and remain in the white house. To add to that, one of the reasonings is that he is driving the country into ruin so he can institute all those measures.
I didn't know we are neighbors!

He is just about the only one that I can talk politics to around here. He has at least a decade on both of us.

Republican strategist Karl Rove says he has a hard time imagining Donald Trump actually going through with his presidential bid and submitting filings that would reveal details about his finances.

“This guy is not a serious candidate,” Rove said on Fox News Sunday. “As of Friday at 5:00, he had yet to file the one-page declaration of his candidacy with the FEC [Federal Election Commission]. The reason he's not is because once he does that, that triggers a 30-day period during which he has to lay out in excruciating detail the range of his liabilities and his assets. He gets to have two 45-day extensions. He will delay filing that piece of paper, and mark my words, he will delay and ask for extensions as long as possible.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-ignore-donald-trump-until-he-files-paperwork

Republican strategist Karl Rove says he has a hard time imagining Donald Trump actually going through with his presidential bid and submitting filings that would reveal details about his finances.

“This guy is not a serious candidate,” Rove said on Fox News Sunday. “As of Friday at 5:00, he had yet to file the one-page declaration of his candidacy with the FEC [Federal Election Commission]. The reason he's not is because once he does that, that triggers a 30-day period during which he has to lay out in excruciating detail the range of his liabilities and his assets. He gets to have two 45-day extensions. He will delay filing that piece of paper, and mark my words, he will delay and ask for extensions as long as possible.”

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...-ignore-donald-trump-until-he-files-paperwork
Rove is an Establishment Republican hack. His act of responding shows that Trump is, at the least, considered a problem that must be addressed.

My belief is that you need not file with the FEC unless you plan to accept partial Federal funding of your campaign. If he chooses, Trump does not have to be just another one of the pigs at the trough.

Last edited:
I don't believe he'll disclose his financial information. He'll take 90 days of attention then get out.

Rove is an Establishment Republican hack. My belief is that you do not have to file with the FEC unless you plan to accept partial Federal funding of your campaign. If he chooses, he does not have to be just another one of the pigs at the trough.
I don't believe he'll disclose his financial information. He'll take 90 days of attention then get out.
Regarding financial disclosure, one guess is as good as another, but I just explained a way that disclosure may not be required.

Last edited:
Do I need to disclose my personal financial information?
Yes. Candidates for federal office must file disclosures of their personal finances.

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_candidate.shtml
I'm not speaking from such a literal position. Of course he can't avoid all disclosure, but it is a matter of degree and if you are self-funded (is it known if Trump intends to be?) requirements are less stringent. In any event, disclosure is in categories as high as "$50mm and above." Such lack of specificity is hardly an impediment to candidacy.

But, all of this is minutia which will be resolved in 90 days or so. And, none of this detracts from the refreshing candor, and deadly accuracy, of what Trump has set forth as the core issues of this election.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT