ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL A REAL EARLY look at 2023

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
First off, THANK YOU! The play on the field was exceptional, but the engagement on the board throughout the season was even better. You guys know that baseball is my sport, and I love covering it. To see the increase in interest over the last few years has been incredible.

Secondly, I'm working on an article to try and incapsulate the 2022 season. Hoping to publish it on Thursday. The 2021 team kind of got the party started so speak, and the 2022 team really established a level of toughness that I think earned respect throughout the country. It wasn't always flashy, it wasn't always pretty, it wasn't always how its drawn up in the off-season, but this group just came together and won a bunch of baseball games. It was easy to see how tight they were off the field.

Thirdly, will Lane Burroughs be back? I think we all hope & wish that he will be, but there are going to be plenty of jobs come open over the next few weeks. He's making 184K (I think) at Tech. Personally, I'd tear his deal up and give him a new 5-year deal for 240K-ish. He deserves a ton of credit for where this program is at.

Now to what the roster MIGHT look like in 2023:

Guys that will have to be Replaced: SS Taylor Young, RF Steele Netterville, RHP Kyle Crigger, RHP Ryan Jennings, LHP Cade Gibson, RHP Jarret Whorff, LHP/DH Jackson Lancaster

Key Contributors that CAN RETURN: C Jorge Corona, CF Cole McConnell, 1B/OF Phil Matulia, LHP Jonathan Fincher, 3B Logan McLeod, LF Adarius Myers, 2B Wade Elliott, RHP Greg Martinez, LHP Ryan Harland, RHP Anthony Giannette, DH Walker Burchfield, RHP Landon Tomkins, RHP Tanner Knight

Not a bad core if they all do return. The MLB Draft is on July 17th. The obvious names to keep an eye on are Corona, McConnell, Matulia, and Fincher. I think the two most likely to leave are McConnell & Corona. I'm scheduled to talk with an MLB Draft/Minor League Baseball expert in the next few weeks. I'm going to be getting his thoughts on TY, Crigger, Jennings, Corona, McConnell, Matulia, and Fincher.

Non-Contributors in 2022 that CAN RETURN in 2023: SS Jeffrey Ince, RHP Cade Hodges, INF Riggs Easterling, C Kyle Hasler, 1B Ben Brantley, OF Jesse Boydstun, C Jackson Slaughter, INF/OF Thaxton Berch, RHP Mason Kelley, INF Slade Netterville, LHP Caden Copeland, C/1B Baylor Cobb, INF Kyle Walker, OF Jack Cue, OF Jackson Walker

Will all of these guys be back? Absolutely NOT. We'll see how it shapes out in the coming weeks.

Not expected to return in 2023: 1B/DH Jack Parks, INF Connor Mulhern, LHP Bryson Bales, 1B Bryce Wallace (headed to real world)

Incoming Signees: C Karson Evans (Taylorsville HS in Taylorsville, MS), INF Grant Comeaux (Barbe HS), LHP Hayden Toal (Tioga HS), OF Jonathan Hogart (Wabash Valley CC), RHP Isaac Crabb (Wabash Valley CC), LHP Ryan Porche (Jesuit HS in New Orleans, LA), RHP Grant Hubka (Iowa Western CC), RHP Reed Smith (Tyler JC), RHP Nicholas Fraginals (Miramar, FL), OF/P CJ Sturiale (Catholic BR), RHP Josh Paul (New Albany, MS), C Eli Berch (Jackson, MS), OF Nicholas Alonso (Miami, FL), 2B/3B Dalton Davis (Tyler JC), CF Justin Williams (Hinds CC)

Looking at POSSIBLE NEEDS for 2023: 1-2 starting pitchers, closer, 2-3 relievers, C, 1B, CF

Some of those pitchers could be on the roster, it's just unknown right now. If Tech could get Corona & McConnell back, they'd be picked towards the top of C-USA in 2023. From what I've heard, there is TONS of interest from transfers to join the program. I will zero in on some of those names over the next few weeks.

If I'm missing anything, PLEASE let me know. On the surface, with the recent success I think Tech can put this thing back together pretty quickly and be really good again in 2023.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News