ADVERTISEMENT

Athletic Student Fees - It may be now or never for some state schools

The Historian

All-American
Gold Member
Apr 14, 2012
I had a conversation this morning with someone who is familiar with Jim Henderson. I wanted to get his opinion on Henderson, which was positive.

He also offered this about the ULS system: The athletic departments at all of the FCS schools have been overwhelmed by skyrocketing costs on all levels.

The athletic departments at the two HBCUs along with NSU, McNeese, Nichols, and SLU are all now at a breaking point financially. He thought UNO was starting to have issues, as well.

He said that Tech, ULL, and ULM are all having problems, but it's nothing like what's going on at the FCS schools, which need million of dollars more in cash in order to cover basic costs.

I really get the sense the ULS Board in going to have to allow its member schools to impose athletics fees, without this silly student vote. Maybe as early as next school year.

I posted this before, but it's worth repeating. When Dr. Taylor was retired but still a fixture at Tech athletic events, in 1992, I asked him about the need for a student vote on the fee for Centennial Plaza. He told me that the student fee vote only started with the Vietnam War and the push to give more power to that age group. He laughed and said "the draft has been gone for over 20 years, but we still give the students that much influence."

Well now it's over 50 years. It's a stunning lack of leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News