ADVERTISEMENT

BASKETBALL Is Mike White to Florida a Dooley 2.0?

latechbanjo

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2010
Just my humble opinion:

I loved the brand of basketball that White brought to Ruston. However, I found myself a little bit sour after missing the dance again. With all the hype around the senior-laden team, being told that all the pieces were in place, etc. I can't shake to feeling that Florida just Dooley'd us.

Florida got a good coach, but I think they got a good coach who has a very real ceiling. We had been gearing up for 3 years about this last year's team being the one that FINALLY took us over the hill and got us to the big dance, but still nothing. How many of us would be happy if Mike had stayed and had another two years with good basketball teams, maybe a couple more regular season championships, but still no NCAA appearances?

Just like Dooley, Mike White was able to give Tech a huge gift, which is the public finally buying in to the basketball program and filling the seats. But, just like after Dooley's 4-8 season, I feel like we were about to settle in to a long-term contract with a team that was never going to go any higher than it had already been. Maybe it wasn't mediocrity, but the style of play and team size just isn't going to be enough to close out big games, advance in the NCAA tourney ,and keep the fans hanging around forever.

No one doubts we have a great foundation, thanks to Mike White. But now we need to build on it...

Reactions: rhshirley
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News