ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Louisiana Tech Head Coaching Search Central

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
November 30th, 11:50 AM

- Cumbie is set to land in Ruston at 2, final negotiations will follow, then he'll tour, then team meeting set for 7 PM.

November 30th, 8:25 AM

- Team meeting tonight at 7 PM
- Hammering out final details on the contract for Sonny Cumbie to be the next HC at LA Tech

November 30th, 8:10 AM

- I have strong reason to believe that Sonny Cumbie will be the next HC at Tech. Possibly could hear something as early as this morning.

November 29th, 6:40 PM

- Briles is rumored to be reaching out to Tech on his own, but his asking price seems to be HIGH. Maybe he’s trying to use Tech as leverage elsewhere?
- Heard the name John Grass this evening
- A chance this is wrapped up by end of week

November 29th, 2:15 PM

- Blake Baker will not interview for the opening.
- Speaking to sources at Ole Miss, I'd be SHOCKED if Lebby entertained the thought of Tech. He's the Ole Miss guy in a year, might get consideration for OU if they don't go with Venables + he's being floated for ULL job
- Doesn't sound like Eric Morris is showing a ton of interest in Tech right now, he's focused on Sam Houston State this week. If Tech is still open this time next week, he might would come into the picture.
- The four most popular right now (in no order) from what I can gather: Cumbie, Harrell, Rattay and Sloan
- All 4 mentioned above have different strengths. Cumbie and Sloan sound like they are the 2 that would crush the interview process and be dynamic recruiters. Harrell isn't a great recruiter, some question who he'd bring on his staff + sounds like his ultimate goal is to go coach in the NFL. Rattay is the Tech guy, dream job to come back "home" and lead his school after getting some experience over the years at other stops.
- Manny Diaz met with the admin at Miami today, and it appears he's returning for another year in Coral Gables. He's out on the road recruiting this afternoon.
- Kendal Briles wants a HC gig badly, but I don't see it happening at Tech.
- With how these things go, I still think there is an off the radar guy or two out there.

November 29th, 11:40 AM

- Sonny Cumbie interviewed really well. He's definitely in the mix. Heard his name the most today.

November 29th, 10:30 AM

- I heard this morning that Daronte Jones (LSU DC) MIGHT get an interview
- Still lots of smoke surrounding Rattay, had another tell me that he's likely the favorite right now. Obviously, it's early, that could easily change.
- Graham Harrell (USC OC) has interviewed for the position.

November 29th, 5:55 AM

- Matt Wells (former Tx Tech & Utah State HC) is a name that we mentioned early on + has had The Athletic & ESPN mention him as well
- Is he a legit candidate? I'm not sure, but it is interesting that he's been mentioned probably the most along with Rattay & Sloan
- I reached out to some guys at Texas Tech last night to get their thoughts on Wells, and here they are: "He’s run a spread offense the last several years. Recruiting wise, he’s good at getting talented kids and heavily relies on the transfer portal. Good builder of team culture and the team really played hard for him. He’s very aggressive on 4th downs + going for it. Weakness wise, maybe game management. Timeout usage and things like that. The defenses here were not great, lower half of the conference."
- Wells was 13-17 in 3 years at Tx Tech, the Red Raiders will play in a bowl game in 2021
- Eric Morris is a name that I believe is in the mix, but he has only been mentioned to me 1 time in 3 days during this search. I find that interesting. We'll see if we hear anything on him today.
- Guys at Iowa thought that Brian Ferentz tweet was interesting. Didn’t know if it was true or not. All that, if Eric Wood hired a 22 personnel offensive guy as his new HC, he has no idea what an empty stadium looks like.
- In terms of the search firm bringing names to Tech, I wouldn't expect it to be some substantial list. 4-5 names at most.
- I still think it's early and that a candidate will emerge that we haven't mentioned yet, but we'll see. Total shot in the dark right now, but I think Sloan, Rattay + 1-2 others will be finalists. Again, I'm just guessing based on the names I hear the most.

November 28th, 6:15 PM

- Eric Wood is running the search. There is a “committee”, but Eric Wood is running it. How much “say” will the committee have when the hire is made? We’ll see.
- The search firm has not submitted its list of candidates just yet, so there will be more names trickle out. Sounds like we are working with Wood’s list right now, maybe some input from a few others.
- Gundy has made the call for Rattay, he really wants this job and has a lot of support.
- Lots of interest in Briles. We can afford him, but he’s getting a bunch of interest elsewhere too.
- Hal Mumme is running a “governor campaign” for his son is what I was told.

November 28th, 4:45 PM

- Briles is very interested in the job, but Tech has not reached out to this point.

November 28th, 3:11 PM

- Hearing lots of smoke surrounding Rattay this afternoon, one source said they believe Rattay is the man to beat
- Talked to some sources in Fayetteville. Briles makes 1 mil a year, most believe he won’t be back in 2022. Incredible coach, but doesn’t see eye to eye with Pittman and not a great recruiter.
- Matt Mumme has thrown his hat into the ring, Hal is making calls

November 28th, 2:00 PM Update

- Hot Board 2.0:

November 28th, 10:30 AM Update

- Eric Wood is meeting with a number of players (as a group) this morning, looking to get some feedback on the season + things they need in order to improve
- Outside of the 3 interviews I mentioned last night, there have not been anymore interviews to this point
- A wide net will be cast, like I said last night, its VERY EARLY. Maybe middle of week Tech starts to zero in on 6-8 guys.
- Heard Major Applewhite's name this morning
- Heard Kendal Briles' name for the first time this morning
- Hot Board 2.0 coming out later today

November 27th, 7:45 PM Update

- There is a 3rd interview tonight, I THINK it’s Barry Lunney Jr (OC at UTSA), but I have not confirmed.
- Nixon doesn’t appear to be a serious candidate in eyes of most. He also interviewed for USM job last year, wasn’t very impressive from what I’m told.
- Rattay plays tonight, he’s going to be in the mix even though he hasn’t popped up a ton.
- If it was Sloan, the whole “he coached under Skip” stuff is overplayed. There MIGHT be 1 assistant from the current staff kept. His staff is already lined up. He’d be the “CEO” type hire. Details, details, details when it comes to Sloan. That’s what is going to make him appealing. I’d venture to say his style would be a 180 from Skip, which would ruffle some feathers.
- It’s still early.

November 27th, 4:20 PM Update

- Jeff Nixon (Carolina Panthers RB Coach) & Sonny Cumbie (Tx Tech OC) are interviewing for the HC job today.

November 26th, 8:51 PM Update:

- Three More Names I’ve heard that Tech is interested in speaking with: Sonny Cumbie (Texas Tech OC), Matt Wells (Former Tx Tech & Utah State HC) & Tim Beck (NC State OC)

Original Post:

I've been working on this for the last hour or so, so here we go:

Some notes:

- Tech is willing to pay 1 million, potentially slightly more for the right candidate
- Joe Sloan & Blake Baker are two candidates that are definitely in the mix, I know for a fact that they will get interviews.
- Eric Morris, Frank Scelfo and Graham Harrell have shown some early interest. In fact, I'm told Harrell would take the job if offered.
- The interviews will start on Sunday, potentially Eric Wood is set to speak with 8 different candidates on Sunday.
- Top donors are encouraging Tech to be BOLD in its search.

I will continue to provide updates throughout the search.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News