ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Spring Football Recap -- 2023

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
I was very impressed with the entire operation in 2023 when you compare it to 2022. Cumbie is much more comfortable in his role, and I think he did a nice job at going out and finding assistants that fit his style.

Evaluating the Offense:

- Hank Bachmeier is as advertised. With him at QB, we have a chance to be pretty good. Win 7-8 games. He's very accurate, throws a good deep ball, surprising mobility, and he's very comfortable in a leadership role. Jack Turner has taken steps forward. I still don't know if his future is FBS starting QB, but I'm willing to keep watching him grow. I love the athleticism. Has to become more consistent as a passer.
- Tyre Shelton & Marquis Crosby will be the top 2 RBs. Crosby missed most of the spring after they found a fracture in his shin after the season, but he practiced the last couple of times. Shelton is a good back, bigger than he looked on his Miami (OH). I really like Charvis Thornton, he just produces. Not the fastest, not the strongest, but a good football player. With Sqwirl Williams leaving the program mid-spring, Tech needs to add a RB from the transfer portal.
- This was the best I've seen of Smoke since he got to Tech. He's in shape, and he's working hard. He still runs his mouth, but it's not nearly as much as it was. Cyrus Allen got bigger. Julien Lewis is ready to play 55-60 snaps a game. Tru Edwards really took a step forward. Zyion Claville, Matthew McCallister, and Solo Lewis get most improved for me. Seems that they made plays day after day. I'm excited to see DeColdest Crawford and Marlion Jackson healthy. Crawford is going to inject more speed outside. I think this WR room will be like 2019. I doubt you'll see a guy with 75-80 catches, but I think you'll see 4 or 5 with at least 35 catches. Need a WR from the portal.
- Pretty average at TE. Nate Jones is ok. Rivera can block. Locke has improved the most, but he's never going to be a big-time target, doesn't move well enough. Rucker is pretty meh.
- I like the first team OL in White, Hale, Delfin, Gilbert, and Bruno. On the 2nd team, I like Rossell and Nelson. Beyond that, I'm not sure. We aren't going to bully anyone, which is why I don't like playing with a TE. I'd rather play 4 true WRs and spread teams out to help create run lanes, but we also know that Nathan Young really got the unit going in back half of last season. OL is the strength of the roster. You could sell me on needing two from portal, IOL and OT.

Evaluating the Defense:

- Scott Power deserves a lot of credit. His unit SUCKED last season, and he caught heat for it. You watch the guys he's brought in and it's tough to blame him for last year. The defensive roster was that bad.
- We lack depth on the DL, have 1 DT committed. Need 2 more, and that's what the goal is. We are 4 deep at DT w/ Rose, Hall, Nason, and Spears. One injury and we could be up a creek though. Hall against the run is still a question for me. I like Jayden Gray and Ezekiel Durham-Campbell. I think Durham-Campbell can be a 6 or 7 sack guy. Burnett is D1 size now, had a good spring.
- LB we are light years better than a season ago, but we were downright terrible in 2022. Fields and Randle are the best. They run sideline to sideline the best, and you have to be able to do that. Zimos is the next best athlete, then Boateng & Davis behind him. Speed has improved for sure, which is encouraging. Saw them in a lot of blitz looks this spring, with speed at other spots it looks like Power won't be afraid to bring his LBs.
- DGT might be my favorite add on defense. He's so small, but he's a football player. He's also smart, vocal leader. Always getting guys lined up, will hit you in run game. Que'von Turner quietly impressed me as a walk-on in a nickel role.
- Willie Roberts was Willie Roberts this spring. His spot is locked up. Cedric Woods looked like he wanted to play football this spring, but he was pushed by Jhamal Shelby and Jakelyn Morgan. Shelby was the most impressive player on defense this spring to me. He's improved a ton. I hated his hips on film out of HS, but he's got a chance to be a star. Beyond those 4 guys, it's pretty meh. I'd like to add a starter caliber CB in the portal. I know that won't be easy.
- Lots of new faces at S. Myles Heard is the best tackler on the team. Hands down. Cecil Singleton is much more comfortable at safety than he was at nickel last season, and he was pretty good in 2022. Zion Hopes is impressive as a RS FR. I don't think he'll play much this season, but you can fall in love with the athleticism pretty easily. Roderick Roberson is a veteran. He's probably your 3rd S right now, would be for me at least. Michael Richard is a true freshman that made plays all spring, he's small but will pop you. Going to be tough to keep him off the field as a FR. He's not like most early enrollees, he clearly belongs at this level.

Evaluating the Special Teams:

- It's not popular, but I like Barnes the most at kicker. He's so accurate. Buck can crush the long ball, leave him in that role for one more year.
- Lots of work to do in summer with new snapper and holder. Rea looked decent as a holder in spring game, that's the most I had paid attention to it.
- Rea has gotten tremendously better as a punter. I won't say the job is his, but he's got a big lead in the clubhouse.

Attrition Candidates (Total Guess):

- Downing, Magee, Bean, Maxwell, DJ Johnson, Joriell Washington

BC's W/L for 2023 as of 4.22.23:

FIU - W
@ SMU - L
Northwestern State - W (Fireworks after the Game)
North Texas - W
Nebraska - L
@ UTEP - W
WKU - L
@ Middle Tennessee - L
New Mexico State - W
@ Liberty - L
Sam Houston - W
@ Jacksonville State - W

7-5 (5-3)

Questions?

ADVERTISEMENT