ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Strengths/Weaknesses of the 2023 Roster

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
Here is where I’m at right now, prior to the start of Fall Camp.

Strengths:

• Bachmeier is a legit starting QB. He’s made 29 career starts, and he’s won 20 of them. I really believe in the experience and leadership he’ll bring to the offense. I may be in the minority, but I’m not worried about a tough 4 games at Boise in 2022.
  • RB Room - I think the trio of the Crosby, Thornton, and Shelton will be leaned on a TON early on. Like we might be a run first offense the first 2-3 weeks. I still don’t know if we have game changing speed, but we have 3 really effective runners.
  • Speed at LB. The LBs can get to an edge in 2023, and Tech didn’t have 1 on the roster that could a season ago. Beyond the speed, we’ll see if they prove they can impact a game.
  • Willie Roberts. He was good a season ago, but Tech needs him to be an All-Conference guy in 2023. Singleton & Heard are a strength at safety as well. Three veterans that are trusted in the secondary.
  • Kicker - Barnes & Buck form a terrific tandem. Clean up some of the blocking issues and they’ll hit 80%+ in 2023.
  • Return Game. Smoke is trimmed up, he’s dynamic. Need him to go win a game back there with a return this year. Don’t get tripped up at the 20.

Weaknesses:

• Depth at QB. Beyond Hank, we aren’t going bowling with anyone else on the roster. Tech has started multiple QBs the last 4 years. If it happens in 2023 for an extended period, it’ll be a long year. Same can be said for 90% of programs in the country, to be fair.
  • Depth on the OL. I like the starters, a lot. Heck, we saw them really run the football successfully in the back half of 2022. However, once you get past the starters I become extremely worried. Nathan Young showed the ability to really coach up his group in 2022, he’s going to need to do it again with #6-10 in 2023. They’ll be needed at some point.
  • Defensive Line. Lots of new faces. Minimal experience outside of Hall, Clark, and Burnett. No proven pass rusher. Need 8 guys to prove they can play. If there aren’t 8, like a season ago, Scott Power’s job became substantially more difficult.
  • Punter - Why should I think it’ll be any different until I see it on the field?

What do you envision some of the strengths and weaknesses being in 2023?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News