ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Wood/Cumbie: Why 5 Year Contract?

dawgdad65

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 12, 2018
I honestly don't remember all the details, but can someone with some knowledge of the situation explain to me why we signed a first time, unproven HC to 5 year, $5 million plus dollar contract? Is it just "the norm"? Didn't the usual negotiation dynamics apply; i.e., did another school want him badly at the same time, etc? Assuming arguendo that no one else wanted Cumbie badly, did Wood just bid our money against ourselves?

I keep seeing the issue arise that G5 schools get caught in a snowball effect when 1 or more HC hires don't work out - and then they get stuck with a chump as HC for way too long. I know P5s can usually buy their way out, but why would most G5s ink a deal for any more than a 3 year gig? I understand the buyout issue if someone you hire worked out/got hot, but arent you really gambling your programs future for a maybe a half mil or a little more? It would seem that the danger isn't worth the potential buyout benefit.

Ultimately, if we had offered Cumbie, say, $2.5 mil over 3 years, do you honestly think he would've walked away?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News