ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL 2022 Louisiana Tech Baseball Preview

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
Louisiana Tech finished the 2021 season at 42-20 overall and hosted its first NCAA Regional in program history.

For his efforts, Lane Burroughs was given a contract extension through the 2026 season.

2022 Coaching Staff:

HC | Lane Burroughs (162-90 in 5 seasons at LA Tech)
Hitting Coach | Mitch Gaspard (3rd season)
Pitching/Catching Coordinator | Cooper Fouts (1st season)
Associate Pitching Coach | Matt Miller (3rd season)

Keys Games in 2022:

Non Conference | vs Wichita State (3), H/A w/ LSU (2), vs Tulane (3), vs ULL (2), @ McNeese (3)

Conference | @ Southern Miss, @ ODU, vs FAU, @ Charlotte

Notes:

- D1 Baseball picked Tech to finish 2nd in C-USA and make an NCAA Regional in 2022

- D1 Baseball picked Jonathan Fincher to be the C-USA Pitcher of the Year in 2022

- Top Draft Prospects for 2022: OF Phil Matulia, OF Cole McConnell, RHP Ryan Jennings, C Jorge Corona, LHP Jonathan Fincher, SS Taylor Young (All 6 guys are within the top 35 prospects in C-USA)

- Fincher was a 3rd Team All-American in the preseason by D1 Baseball

- Preseason Top 25 Rankings: Collegiate Baseball (#15), College Baseball Nation (#14)

- RHP Kurt Dillon has left the team. Arm injuries became too much to overcome, so he is no longer on the roster. He was a JC transfer.

What might the opening day line-up look like?

SS Taylor Young
CF Cole McConnell
LF Phil Matulia
RF Steele Netterville
C Jorge Corona
2B Wade Elliott
DH Walker Burchfield
1B Ben Brantley
3B Logan McLeod

- Bryce Wallace (1B/DH), Baylor Cobb (DH) and Adarius Myers (OF/DH) are probably the top 3 guys off the bench with good bats.

- Following those two, you start talking about Colton Hegwood (INF), Thaxton Burch (INF), Slade Netterville (INF), Jesse Boydstun (OF), Jackson Slaughter (C)

- Kyle Hasler is nursing a knee injury. He's been out so far this spring. Slaughter will be the back-up catcher for the time being.

- I don't think Tech will be as explosive offensively as they were a year ago, but they will be more athletic. They will likely steal more bases, play hit & run a little more often, strikeout less, things of that nature.

- I really like the lineup 1-8, McLeod needs to be a great defender at 3rd.

What will Tech look like on the mound?

Fri -- LHP Jonathan Fincher
Sat -- RHP Ryan Jennings
Sun -- RHP Jarret Whorff

Midweek -- LHP Cade Gibson & RHP Greg Martinez

Top Relievers:

RHP Kyle Crigger
RHP Landon Tomkins
RHP Cade Hodges
RHP Tanner Knight
RHP Anthony Giannette
RHP Evan Lewis
LHP Jackson Lancaster
LHP Caden Copeland
LHP Nick Ellis

- Jennings has been up to 96 at times this spring. He's almost 24 months removed from Tommy John surgery, and I think he's got a chance to be dominant this year. Ace type level dominance.

- Whorff has dealt with a lat strain the last few weeks. He's expected to be ready to go next weekend, but if he's not in the rotation that's why.

- Cade Gibson has been the best pitcher on the staff all fall and spring.

- Martinez will bounce around some between starting and relieving. They could piggyback some on single game midweeks.

- Crigger will be the closer to start the year, Tomkins is next in line behind him.

- I think we'll see some middle guys like Hodges, Lancaster and Tomkins extended in some spots in the middle innings.

- Burroughs mentioned Copeland and Giannette as two guys that are doing some good things as young guys. Evan Lewis is a RS FR that has been up to 96-97 in spurts. He's a closer type, still hasn't fully clicked for him just yet.

Overall:

- Anytime you lose 2 All-Americans in your lineup it's going to be difficult to replace production wise. At the same time, it's time for the Corona and McConnell types to step and be stars for this team. I think Tech will be better defensively in the infield in 2022. Ray & Wells combined for 30 errors a season ago. That won't happen again this year, in my opinion.
- I LOVE this team on the mound. I doubt you'd find 10 teams in America that returns 5 starting pitchers of Tech's caliber. Middle innings will be the key, as it is with every team in all levels of baseball.
- Tech started 8-5 a season ago, don't flip out if they start slow. It's baseball.
- Anything less than a regional appearance is a disappointment for this team. That's the expectations this team has set for itself, and they should be back in a regional in early June.
- Questions? Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News