J. Ford

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 19, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.jford.net
Tech Release:
Nantais Hired as Louisiana Tech Bowling Coach

RUSTON , La. (Sept. 21, 2017) - Louisiana Tech Director of Athletics Tommy McClelland announced Wednesday that Matt Nantais has been hired to lead the Lady Techsters bowling program.

While serving as the bowling coach, Nantais will also serve as the director of the on-campus bowling center, where he will oversee day-to-day operations of the Lambright Sports and Wellness Center Bowling Facility.

“Matt Nantais has a history of success over the past five years at Valparaiso with over 300 victories,” McClelland said. “His teams annually played one of the toughest schedules in the country, making his record even more impressive. Valparaiso has been nationally ranked in each of Matt’s five years as head coach. We feel confident that Matt will be able to elevate our bowling program to the next level.”

Nantais joins Louisiana Tech after spending five years as the head coach with the nationally-ranked Valparaiso program, where the Crusaders saw incredible success under his guidance. In his first season with the Crusaders, Nantais led the Division I program to a No. 1 national-ranking and a trip to the NCAA Championships where Valpo finished sixth. During that stretch Valparaiso set a program record with 84 wins.

“I would like to thank President Les Guice, Director of Athletics Tommy McClelland, Mary Kay Hungate, Bobby Dowling and the entire search committee,” Nantais said. “Everyone was very genuine. It gave me a really good feeling about the environment at Louisiana Tech and in Ruston.”

While serving as the director of the campus bowling center, Nantais will handle the schedule and supervision of all events, as well as maintenance of the facility.

“The recreation department is happy to team up with athletics to hire an excellent bowling coach and bowling center administrator,” said Dowling. “We look forward to having a first class bowling program at Louisiana Tech.”

Nantais has proven his success on and off the floor. In his time at Valparaiso, 21 bowlers earned all-academic honors from the National Tenpin Coaches Association (NTCA). Last years’ squad was one of just 17 to be recognized by the NTCA for their academic success, achieving a team GPA of 3.44.

“Academics are important to me, and Louisiana Tech offers a wide range of degrees which is very helpful when it comes to recruiting,” Nantais said. “Louisiana Tech also has some really successful alumni. That really drew me to the school. I want to continue to graduate all of our student-athletes that come through the program. I had a 100 percent graduation rate at Valparaiso, and I plan on continuing that at Louisiana Tech.”

His hiring is pending the approval of the Board of Supervisors for the University of Louisiana System.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News