ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Brothers in Arms

hercules88

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 23, 2005
West Monroe
Phillip Diehl and Braden Bristo Transition to Pros

When looking at Pulaski Yankees relievers Braden Bristo and Phillip Diehl, you might think they are exact opposites. Bristo is a blonde righty who listens to Christian music and likes Albert Pujols. Diehl is a dark-headed southpaw who sports glasses, listens to rap, and likes David Price. But despite their differences, the pair also have a lot in common like playing college baseball together, both being drafted by the New York Yankees, and playing in Pulaski together.

They had different paths to Louisiana Tech. Bristo grew up in Monroe, Louisiana and played on travel ball teams growing up. He was a three-sport athlete and was an All-State MVP in both football and track. However, when the time came to make a choice, he went with baseball.

"Football is my first love. My dad is a football coach. But baseball, I felt like I had more of a future and as you can see I'm not very big so football might have been bad," Bristo said. "I might have been broken in half by now. I'm glad that I chose baseball and God's been faithful to me pursuing it."

So whenever Louisiana Tech came calling, it seemed like a natural fit for several reasons.

"It's about a 45-minute drive from my house and at the time I was recruited, I was recruited by coach (Wade) Simoneaux who was let go the next year but I really liked that whole staff," Bristo said. "The staff that came after him was very good too. They also gave me the ability to graduate in three years, which I was able to do and get my degree in kinesiology, pre-physical therapy. It was a combination of things that kind of worked out really great."

Diehl grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and also played on travel teams growing up and played at several colleges before he found his way to Louisiana Tech. He started his journey at the University of Evansville.

"I had a good relationship with the coaches that recruited me. I liked what I had been told. I know the coaches had gotten fired and there was a new coaching staff and I didn't really get along well with them," Diehl said. "I transferred to Wabash Valley College and had a nice year."

It was then that Louisiana Tech recruited him.

more
http://www.milb.com/news/article.js...d=188042524&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t425&sid=t425

Reactions: Akbil and J. Ford
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News