J. Ford

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 19, 2009
Hendersonville, TN
www.jford.net
LA Tech Hall of Fame Feature: Troy Edwards

By T. Scott Boatright

It was one of those games any college football fan will remember the rest of their lives.

And for Louisiana Tech fans, it’s one of their best memories of all time coming in a nationally-televised game to open the 1998 season.

The numbers still speak for themselves: 21 receptions for 405 yards against defending national champ Nebraska — still the most receiving yardage ever in a single NCAA game.

Tech wideout Troy Edwards would go on to end his collegiate career with some of the more impressive receiving numbers of all time — 280 catches for 4,252 yards and 50 touchdowns. He had 140 catches for 1,996 yards and 27 scores during his senior season alone.

Those numbers are easily good enough to grab Edwards a spot in the Louisiana Tech Athletics Hall of Fame, to which he will be inducted into at 10:30 a.m. Oct. 24 in the Thomas Assembly Center’s Waggonner Room along with fellow former Tech football standout Robert Brunet, former Dunkin’ ’Dogs great Mike Green, former Lady Techsters’ hoops standout Nora Lewis and former Bulldogs’ baseball star Charlie Montoya.

There’s no question Edwards turned in a stellar collegiate career, but it’s that one game Tech Nation especially remembers. Current Tech receivers coach Tim Rattay was the quarterback for the Bulldogs that incredible day against Nebraska and still vividly remembers the game.

“It was the first game of the year my junior year and Troy’s senior year,” Rattay said. “We had a good season the year before and had worked hard, two or three hours a day out there throwing, all summer long. We both wanted to play on that big stage in that kind of game. Nebraska had three or four defensive backs on that team who went on to play in the NFL. Troy shredded every one of them, whether it was deep, short or even running the ball.

“We lost, so I think what all had happened was kind of lost at first. We went into every game, including that one, believing we were going to win. So we were down after it was over. But the next morning we started paying attention and started realizing just how historic it all was.”

Edwards, never one to lack confidence, said that heading into that game being played on a national stage, he was going to have a big day.

“I talked about it leading into the game — I knew that I couldn’t be stopped,” Edwards said. “I knew that with the quarterback I had, and the offensive coordinator I had, I couldn’t be stopped. Tim and I had watched a lot of film before that game and we were ready.

“But I still didn’t know until after the game the numbers were that big. I didn’t have a clue. But all the other (Tech) receivers played a big part in that, because they showed they had to be covered, too; and the running backs, offensive line and Tim. That was a team effort — I couldn’t have done it without them. Do you know the sacrifices those other receivers made running their routes knowing the ball was probably going to go to me?”

It took a team effort to get Edwards to Tech as then Bulldog head coach Joe Raymond Peace and assistant coach Pat Tilley, a Tech Hall of Fame receiver himself, recruited the young player out of Shreveport’s Huntington High School.

“Pat Tilley and I spent several nights over in Shreveport recruiting him,” Peace said. “As a high school player there were so many positions where he could help you — cornerback, running back, wide receiver. He had that ability to be a special player in whatever he did, special teams and returns included. He could do it all. I was really looking at him as a running back when I recruited him.

“There’s no question he’s of the best receivers to come out of Louisiana Tech and to ever play college football in general. We were fortunate to get him. Everybody wanted him, not only Louisiana schools but on a national level. There was never any doubt he would succeed.”

But for a short while, Edwards admitted to some doubts, at least by his standards. After only making 38 catches for 649 yards and 10 touchdowns during his first season on the collegiate field, Edwards said he wanted a change.

Fortunately that change came, but not in the way Edwards first wanted. Instead, it was in the form of Rattay joining him as a Bulldog.

“People don’t realize how much time we spent together,” Edwards said. “That’s why he’s still one of my best friends in life. I was talking about quitting football totally, or at least moving back to running back, and Tim is the one who told me I was going to be a receiver regardless. I wanted the ball and a running back gets more touches. Tim helped me through that. He’ll always be a special person in my life.”

Edwards went on to be the 13th overall pick in the 1999 NFL draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. He finished his NFL career with 203 catches for 2,404 yards and 11 touchdowns in seven seasons playing for the Steelers (1999-2001), St. Louis Rams (2002), Jacksonville Jaguars (2003-04) and Detroit Lions (2005).

He also played against his old teammate Rattay a few times in the NFL.

“It was always great getting to see and talk to him before the games and whenever it happened, that game was always marked on the calendar to look forward to,” Rattay said.

Rattay also thinks Edwards could have put up bigger NFL numbers in a different day and age.

“With all the spread offenses out now and the way NFL teams throw the ball these days, I think you could put him in the slot and watch him post much bigger numbers now than he did back then,” Rattay said.

These days, Edwards spends his time in the Dallas area working what he calls “a basic school district job” and helping his sons, Troy Jr. and Tru, with their football skills.

“They already know the game a lot more than I did at their age because I’ve been able to teach them,” Edwards said. “One is a (high school) freshman and the other is in junior high. I’m so proud of them and so proud they’re going to see me get this honor at Tech. I’ve seen what has been happening there and it is so impressive.

“I always wanted to be there in the Tech Hall of Fame, but you never really think that it’s going to happen. It’s so special for me.”

One special last grab Edwards is making for the Bulldogs.

LA Tech Hall of Fame Feature: Robert Brunet

By Keith Prince

When Robert Brunet makes his acceptance speech into the Louisiana Tech Athletics Hall of Fame it will finalize the most improbable march into this prestigious organization that any Bulldog athlete has ever made.

Granted, that is quite a statement – “most improbable ever” – but what else can you say about an athlete who did not play one meaningful moment of high school football until the playoffs of his senior season – because until then Robert Brunet had served as the team’s manager.

In fact, had the team’s top two running backs not been injured in the final regular season game, Brunet likely would have never played at Louisiana Tech or in the NFL because he would never have gotten a chance to play in high school.

And in that case, the odds are obviously very great that he would not have been included in Tech’s 2015 Hall of Fame class.

The reason this story seems so unimaginable for Louisiana Tech fans to grasp is that they all remember Brunet as the swift, slashing running back who made All-Gulf States Conference in 1967 after running for a school record 224 yards against Lamar – and then went on to produce an outstanding 10-year NFL career for the Washington Redskins as the league’s premier special teams player.

So just how did this football Cinderella story ever happen?

It started deep in south Louisiana at Larose-Cutoff where Robert grew up loving football but never even played enough to letter on any team. And it ended at midfield of Irving Stadium in 1977 where Brunet lay temporarily paralyzed following a collision with Dallas Cowboys all-pro lineman Randy White – finishing the Cajun’s NFL career and almost ending his chance at a normal life.

Amazingly, Brunet’s journey to collegiate and NFL stardom began with a bewildering set of circumstances that saw him rejected from football for five straight years as a youngster.

“They started a Pee Wee League when I was in the sixth grade,” recalled Brunet. “They had so many kids come out that they chose players for the teams by running a race. I was always fast and would have made the team but I had been very ill for a week and when I tried to run I couldn’t do it – and I didn’t make the team.”

As for the next year, Brunet couldn’t play once again, but this time it was due to his after-school job of sweeping classrooms. In eighth grade, he was nursing a knee injury, which sidelined him once again.

“Another preseason injury (bruised kidney) kept me out of the ninth grade and in the 10th grade we had a new coach and he wouldn’t let me play because I had missed spring training (because of after-school work),” he said. “Also, I think it may have been a little bit because I was only 5-5 and weighed 135.

“Finally, in the 11th grade Lynn LeBlanc became our coach and he let me be on the team but I didn’t make the traveling squad,” Brunet recalled. “Then I had a good spring training practice heading into my senior season and I was going to get some playing time, but I suffered a slipped disc before the season began.

“Coach LeBlanc let me stay on as the equipment manager. We had a good season and made the playoffs, but in our last regular season game our two top running backs were injured. By this time, I was fully recovered and Coach asked if I thought I could play. I said I would try and I did pretty good – we went all the way to the state championship game with me in the starting lineup.”

It was at this point that Louisiana Tech entered the picture and changed Brunet’s life forever. Although Larose-Cutoff lost the state title game to Minden, 28-21, Brunet had a strong performance and a Tech coach, the late George Doherty, was there to see it.

Years later, Doherty recalled that night.

“I was really there to watch two other players, but when I saw Robert I knew I was watching a unique and gifted young man. I didn’t know anything about his athletic background (or lack of it) but I could see he had all the moves, the speed and the instincts of an outstanding athlete.”

After the game Doherty asked LeBlanc about No. 23 and the coach couldn’t recall even having a No. 23. Finally, he said, “Oh, that’s my manager. We lost our starter to injury so Robert was filling in for us.”

Doherty offered Brunet a scholarship to Tech that night and Robert accepted it – even though he admitted he had never heard of Louisiana Tech.

The Tech coach then laughed and recalled telling Tech head coach Joe Aillet the next day that, “I just recruited a manager.” He said Aillet looked at him and asked, “Well, is he a good one?”

Brunet arrived at Tech in 1964 and – as if to prove this miracle just might work – he came into camp standing 6-feet tall and weighing 190 pounds – up over 50 pounds and two inches taller than he was as a high school senior.

And, sure enough, this kid could really run.

He went on to become one of Tech’s most outstanding running backs ever, finishing with 1,222 yards rushing, eighth best in Tech history at that point, and his efforts were rewarded with a phone call from the Washington Redskins, saying, “We have just drafted you in the seventh round.”

Fighting off injuries many times, Brunet had a solid 10-year reign in the NFL that included a Super Bowl appearance in 1972 when Washington lost, 14-7, to the perfect (17-0) Miami Dolphins.

Following one season, the former Bulldog was rated as the No. 1 Special Teams Player in the NFL. It’s no wonder he was a favorite of all his pro head coaches, which included Otto Graham, Vince Lombardi, Bill Austin and finally, George Allen, for whom he played his last seven years.

Brunet realizes the NFL provided him with many opportunities that might not otherwise have come his way and he quickly says, “God has been good to me. I have been blessed.”

He also knows that he was tremendously lucky that the injury in 1977 against the Cowboys was not permanent.

“I will never forget laying there, realizing that I was paralyzed and thinking that I would never be able to hold my children again or live a normal life,” Brunet said.

But the feeling did return to his body that night even though he did require neck surgery. Dallas doctors told him it wasn’t often that someone recovers fully after taking that kind of hit to the head and neck.

“Now it is hard for me to believe that it ever happened,” Brunet added. “I sometimes wonder if I would do it all over again, but the answer is that I probably would. In fact, for years I would have a recurring dream that George (Allen) called me and pleaded with me to come back for one more game. Every time I would say, ‘Yes, George, I will be there,’” Brunet laughed.

Today, it is obvious that Robert Brunet won’t be suiting up for any more football games, but he will soon have one more moment of athletic glory when he is deservedly enshrined into the Louisiana Tech Athletics Hall of Fame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT