ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My Changing View

rhshirley

Hall of Famer
Jan 17, 2008
Dallas
Having played 2/3rds of the regular season, I thought it to be a reasonable time to consider my current view of our team.

DEFENSE

Because defense is easily the greatest concern, I begin there. As the season began, I believed that the staff had addressed important needs at the DB and LB positions. As our defensive deficiencies became apparent, I initially l initially believed the blame laid almost entirely on scheme. While that remains an obvious shortcoming, after all, regardless of how poor the player talent there is no coaching excuse for consistently allowing a TE to remain completely uncovered game after game. I don't mean not well defended, I mean ignored; left alone. There is no coaching excuse for failing to make real-time defensive changes as soon as it is apparent that the game plan is not working.

On the other hand, it is now clear that we have such a dearth of talent at defensive back and linebacker that we will remain maddeningly poor at those positions for the foreseeable future (the next two years). Aside from senior Woods, and Kitchen, who shows promise, do we have a starting DB, or perhaps even any DB's on our roster, that would likely start now or in the future for ANY other team in CUSA?

And even worse, do we have a linebacker, starting or on the roster, that would likely ever start for ANY other team in CUSA? I haven't tried to research that question, but our linebacking corps is almost entirely composed of weak transfers and even weaker walk-ons. I believe our only recruited linebackers, aside from Quanta Moore who has changed positions and will never play, are Farris and Durman and both of whom are at best, journeymen. Objectively, our linebacking postion grades an "F," now and for the foreseeable future.

The staff apparently has a good eye for talent at offensive skill positions, although only limited success at successfully recruiting that talent at QB, and has proven adequate at identifying talent on the offensive and defensive lines, but it has shown itself to have a HUGE blind spot when it comes to recognizing undeveloped or latent talent at linebacker, and is only marginally better at defensive back.

Consideration of the offense must await another post.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News