ADVERTISEMENT

Phillip Livas- Tech's version of Trindon Holliday?

Tripnotic Tiger

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2003
Louisiana
LSU fans know what most fans around the country don't yet and that is a 5'5" 155 pound tiny mite speedster is about to be unleashed on an unsuspecting public. Sure TH made some big plays last year and had the huge KO return against the Hogs but with LSU's upper classmen talent (evidenced by 3 1st rd off. picks), his touches were limited considering he was only a freshman. This year with inexperience at the WR position and a new offensive coordinator that LA Tech fans are surely familiar with, expect the little road runner to make a bigger impact on offense than just being a special teams difference maker.

Enter Phillip Livas. While being a few inches taller than Holliday he shows the same moves, quickness, and speed that have LSU fans jumping out of their seats everytime Holliday touches the ball. While we all know the outrageous times often reported out of Arkansas' camps, it's still worth noting that he clocked in a 4.19 shuttle and reportedly ran laser-measured 40 yd. dash times of 4.36 and 4.23. While it may be understood why LSU didn't persue Livas due to having their own little jitterbug in the backfield, it's a wonder bigger programs didn't offer. Southern Miss was Tech's biggest obstacle to land Livas' signature and with the additions of other USM targets such as Tarence Calais it showed the Tech fanbase that this staff means business.

The question now is where to play Phillip Livas. Obviously like Trindon Holliday at LSU, it makes sense to utilize Livas' speed and open field moves by getting him the ball in the return game. Holliday is seen in the slot, lined up wide on certain plays, and as a tailback to receive tosses or be used as a decoy. Personally, I hope Tech will give defenses fits by lining up Livas all over the field and not make him just a threat from one spot at RB. Reggie Bush has shown how much of a weapon a versitle RB with soft hands can be when mismatched with a LB. Livas appears to have good enough hands to where he could be a factor in the passing game. As only a RB, the concern might be his blocking on the D-1 level and the learning of pass protections when passing from running formations.

One thing that isn't in doubt- this kid has sick moves and plans to electrify the Tech offense and fanbase this fall.

Go Dawgs!

Livas Film

I hope he's willing to play the slot (he'd see the field much sooner). On tape, he reminds me of Troy Edwards.

lightnin, if we can get half of the production Edwards put forth in Livas, I'll be satisfied. I think this kid will be an amazing talent before leaving Ruston.

Hey, anyone still living in Ruston, is Griff's Burgers still open?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT