ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL Strength of Schedule - 2023

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
Here is what I think in terms of easiest to hardest games on the 2023 schedule:

1. Northwestern State - The Demons knocked off the 'Dogs in 2014 in Ruston. Tech got their revenge in 2017. In 2023, plan another fireworks show. Tech will roll the Demons.

2. FIU - First game of the season can be tricky, but it's an 8 PM kickoff at The Joe. It's also a conference game. Tech is an early 10.5-point favorite. I think Tech wins by 14-17 because the Panthers have been crushed by the portal this off-season, but I will say that this is a HUGE game for Sonny Cumbie to start year two. Need this win.

3. Sam Houston State - This is another home game, which is why I think Tech wins. The Bearkats will end up being pretty good in C-USA over time, but I think it'll be a mismatch in the trenches in year on.

4. Jacksonville State - Will Tech have plenty to play for in late November? We've seen how these games can go with not much on the line, and it's a road game. Rich Rod is also in year 2 which causes some uneasiness knowing that he'll get their offense clicking.

5. New Mexico State - Jerry Kill is a good football coach. How in the world did he take that program to a bowl game in year 1? This is one of those games that Tech has to win if it wants to go bowling.

6. Middle Tennessee - I said a few days ago that there is no way MTSU is better than Tech. Well, this road game will tell us a lot. Tech has lost its last two trips to Murfreesboro. Not that Tech has a huge home field advantage or anything, but there will be 19 people at this game.

7. UTEP - This isn't a fun road trip. UTEP isn't an easy team to square-off against with their boring style of offense. Can Tech stop the run? Can Dana Dimel get UTEP back to .500? In El Paso, turnovers will likely be the difference.

8. North Texas - I'm a huge believer in Eric Morris. Can he get it going in year one? I don't think he'll run the ball as much as Littrell did, and I think that plays into Tech's hands with its lack of depth on the DL. Chandler Rogers is a ULM transfer that will likely start at QB for the Mean Green. If Tech is "good", they'll win this game at home.

9. SMU - SMU defeated the Bulldogs on a Hail Mary in 2021. Remember that? Fun times. I'm still not sold on Rhett Lashlee as a Head Coach, but they'll have more talent on the field than Tech will. One advantage that Tech will have is that it will already have a game under its belt. Preston Stone was the #5 QB in America and will be making his 2nd career start. Will he be as advertised?

10. Liberty - Jamey Chadwell might be the best G5 coach in the country. I assume Kaidon Salter will be the QB. He’s got talent, but hasn’t blossomed just yet. Chadwell might be the guy that gets it all clicking. Very tough road game.

11. WKU - Only reason this isn’t the toughest game on the schedule is because it’s at home. Austin Reed is a STUD at QB.

12. Nebraska - The Cornhuskers wont wow you with talent, but Matt Rhule is fantastic. Jeff Sims at QB will be tough to slow down and it’ll be an excellent environment.

Thoughts? Which games would you switch around? How many games does Tech win? I see a bunch of toss up games, and that scares. Getting to a bowl game would make this season a success, but I want to get greedy and be top 3 in the league.

Reactions: PPickerNBigD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News