ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Thoughts on the Early Signing Period?

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
Sonny Cumbie signed his first recruiting class at Louisiana Tech on Wednesday.

How did he do?

First off, to have the 3rd ranked recruiting class in C-USA after a coaching change was extremely impressive in my opinion.

I think the Holtz staff deserves some credit for the guys that they had committed + Sherman Wilson, Brock Hays, Anthony Camp, Paul Turner and Teddy Veal deserve a bunch of credit for holding it together down the stretch. Of course, Cumbie was in the fold and helped play a huge role in getting Lyddy signed late.

Cumbie mentioned those guys numerous times in his press conference yesterday, and they deserve a lot of praise. They were tremendous.

My overall view on the prospects that signed:

QB Landry Lyddy -- Tech badly needs him to show he can contribute in 2022 with the way that the QB room looks right now. Every guy I talk to about him praises his accuracy with the football. He'll be here this spring, so we'll learn a lot about him very quickly.

OL Isaac Ellis -- The Memphis transfer is enrolled in classes at Tech. 18 career starts at Memphis, played in 34 games. He'll start at RG in 2022, in my opinion.

OL Landon Nelson -- 4 for 3 JC OL, will provide depth in 2022 and compete for the starting center role in 2023.

WR Zyion Claville -- was committed to Marshall for most of senior season, Sherman Wilson identified him as a guy needed in this class after Cumbie took over. Tech pulled the trigger on an offer, flipped him pretty quickly. He's very talented, but he's has a lengthy injury history. Will need to stay healthy.

WR Keshlon Jackson -- my favorite player in this class, can really run. Numerous P5 offers, outside guy. Twitchy. Needs some weight. Maybe a bigger/ more talented Wayne Toussant?

WR O'Ryan James -- Hurricane Ida derailed some of his senior season at Ellender HS, will need some time before he's a potential contributor.

WR Cyrus Allen -- I think he's got a chance to be really good. If not for the grade issues, he's at a P5. Can really run, makes quick & precise cuts as well. Glad that he'll be in here for the spring.

TE Kendrick Rucker -- Huge frame, probably need 35-40 pounds on him before he's a contributor at TE.

LB Zy Ford -- Played at a smaller school in MS, might be slightly undersized, but he's a thumper. Likes to play downhill. He'll enter a LB room that has Grubbs, Carabin, Walker and Calhoun. If Tech doesn't add a JC/transfer later on, maybe he forces his way into the mix in 2022?

CB Jhamal Shelby -- Received a late offer from Tech, committed pretty quick after a visit. VERY GOOD size at 6'2. Tech needed more size at CB as well. To me, he's a boundary guy on tape, hips aren't overly impressive, but he's physical.

K/P Buck Buchanan -- Big leg, probably the kickoff guy as a freshman. Maybe he competes for the starting punter role with Caleb Phillips, Arlind Bengu and Austin McCready? Place kicker down the road.

2022 Contributors:

OL Isaac Ellis
QB Landry Lyddy (possibly)
WR Keshlon Jackson (possibly)
LB Zy Ford (possibly)

Some of that could change depending on who is added later on.

Most pressing needs in the late period? QB (1 or 2), OL (4-5, 3 that can contribute right away, especially at OT) and CB (3-4, need 3 that can contribute right away).

Those are my takes right now. Overall, I like the start that Sonny Cumbie had on Wednesday with this 2022 class.

Your thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News