ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Western Kentucky Series

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
After winning three consecutive series, this weekend Tech has one heck of an opportunity to really make a move. WKU is weak, and when I say weak, I mean real weak. Can they beat you? Yes, but their pitching staff is horrendous. A 6.23 team is ERA just isn’t going to win many games and mix that with a Tech lineup that can put up 10 runs on anyone, it could be a nice weekend offensively. The Hilltoppers pitching staff gave up 17 runs in a 22-17 midweek win over Austin Peay Tuesday night. In conference play they have been swept two weeks in a row against Charlotte and Rice respectively.

Offensively Colie Currie leads them with a .312 average to go along with 3 home runs and 21 RBI. Tyler Robertson is hitting .311 with 1 home run and 16 RBI. Their best player overall offensively is Kaleb Duckworth. Duckworth has struggled throughout the year though only hitting .225 with four home runs and 17 RBI. They do have some power in their lineup hitting 32 home runs on the year, but if Tech pitchers eliminate walks, a solo home run or two is not going to kill them. Take out the Austin Peay game and they are averaging just over 4 runs a game.

Pitching wise, like I mentioned, they are terrible. Ryan Thurston, Evan Acosta, and Paul Kirkpatrick got the weekend starts last weekend. Those three have ERAs of 6.05, 7.02, and 5.97 respectively. Not exactly stellar. Acosta and Kirkpatrick both give up well over a hit per inning. As a staff they give up 12 hits a game, along with 5 BB/HBP. Not a great recipe for success. The Tech lineup has to be licking their chops to get a shot at this staff.

For Tech offensively, they just need to continue to stay the course. The offense has carried the team for much of the year and they will need to keep that going. On the mound, Burroughs mentioned earlier this week that Harris could possibly move to Friday night. That decision should be announced later today, but I like him in that Saturday role the best. He can win a series on Saturday or even a series back up. He’s been lights out, but I think the against UAB it was obvious there were some signs of fatigue. Ideally a big lead on his day and get him out of there for some rest. There is still a long way to go this year. Now to Casey Sutton, after looking really good the previous two weeks against Rice and ODU he struggled against UAB. He didn’t look close to his self, he didn’t show a lot of conviction with his pitches. Whether it is injury or arm fatigue, he has to figure it out. Hopefully he can get back on track this weekend. Cam Linck continues to compete, we know the story with him. He isn’t able to give a ton of length, but if he can keep Tech in it that’s all you can ask for.

Kyle Griffen has changed the whole Tech bullpen in my opinion. Pulling his redshirt was may be the best decision Burroughs has made all year. With Griffen, Ahlrich, and Hasler the top 3 in the bullpen are outstanding.

Weather is not looking good for this weekend at the moment, hopefully it will clear up and there will not be any doubleheaders.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News