ADVERTISEMENT

OFF TOPIC Why is Louisiana so bad?

Pilot172000

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2011
Bare with me on this as I am more interested in answers than complaints or politics. I was just recently reviewing a number of articles that ranked states by quality of life and overall health. As many would surmise Louisiana was consistently rated worst on almost all categories. My genuine curiosity about the subject was from the point of a Louisiana Tech Alum and why we have such a great product but little financial stability. Here are a short list of current issues that are plaguing our state and I'm curious as to how one some of you propose an adequate solution. Keep in mind that I do not want this to turn into a political debate. Both political parties have held sway over the state since the 80's with none providing solid or lasting solutions.

Issues:
1. Obesity in LA is at 36.% which means a full third of the state is unhealthy.
2. Poverty Rate is at 19.7% with fewer jobs being created
3. Highest incarceration rate in the US by a country mile.
4. 2nd highest crime rates in US with a homicide rate of 21% higher than the second to last on the list.
5. 2nd worst business climate in US.
6. Most polluted state in the US. This affects to over health of Louisianans
7. Least educated state in the US- Only 23.4% of Louisiana citizens have a college degree. 78.6% have a Highschool Diploma
8. 2nd worst business friendly state in the US. Massachusetts is the worst.
9. 3rd worst infrastructure in the US. Our roads are literally that bad.
10. Across the board the consensus worst state to live in by every metric available.
11. Median Income is $47,905 which is $14,032 below National average.

What can we as a state do to change this? What would you do first?

Side note: Lincoln Parish was the highest rated Parish in Louisiana with St. Tammany coming in second.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News