ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL Looking at the 2022 Regular Season

BCarlisle37

BTB Publisher
Staff
Dec 21, 2015
Ruston, LA
I wanted to share some of my thoughts on the 2022 regular season.

- Taylor Young, I just don't know what to say. He's the heart & soul of this team, the heart & soul of this program. He finished with 10 HR, 20 2B, 4 3B, 66 BB/42 K, 24/26 in SB, and he fielded .972 while playing the toughest position on the field. Truly a legend. We've been SPOILED with TY, Netterville, Fincher, Wells, and Bates the last few years. I hope we realize this isn't normal.

- Cole McConnell took that step in 2022. He became a big-time run producer. Love to see it. Guy can really barrel the baseball.

- Steele Netterville started a little slow, but he finished the regular season with career-highs in BA (.311), HR (13) and RBI (62). He's going to be big in Hattiesburg. If he gets hot, look out.

- Before the year, I said to some friends (may have said it here too) that Jorge Corona was going to be an All-American after I watched him for the first time in an intrasquad this spring. Did he ever deliver? My gosh. Corona hit .296 with 13 HR and 51 RBI from the catcher position. He's 15 for his last 23 lol. He's also caught 34% of base stealers. That's insane. He caught 9% of base stealers in 2021. Kid worked his tail off to get better. Awesome to see.

- Logan McLeod surprised the HECK out of me. I didn't think there was any chance he'd start at 3rd all year. Not only did he hit .284, but he's excellent defensively. He can really pick it over there.

- Kyle Crigger is such a dog. They don't make dudes like him at the back end of games. When the game is on the line, he wants the baseball. Every. Single. Time. Hasn't pitched in 6 days? Wants the baseball. Threw 45 pitches the night before? Wants the baseball. Up 13-1? Wants the baseball. He's everything you could want in a pitcher as a HC. Spots his fastball, throws two off-speed pitches for strikes. He pitches in the highest of high leverage spots, and he never backs down. I think he "blew" one game all year. One game. That's it. Unheard of. He'll be an All-American.

- When Tech was struggling in the middle portion of conference play it was really due to the starting pitching. I'm not sure the starting pitching is entirely ironed out, but Ryan Jennings deserves a lot of credit. Lost his rotation spot, earned it back. Really got after it the back half of the year. Senior leadership.

- Jarret Whorff's struggles really hurt Tech on the mound, even for a staff that has been much better than a season ago. He hasn't thrown more than 5 innings at any point all year. The look of a guy that is always searching for command every time out. Credit to him though, he hasn't folded. Give us one great start in Hattiesburg with it all on the line.

- Cade Gibson is a BULLDOG. Forget the play on the field, imagine being from Ruston and coming back home to play for the hometown team as a walk-on. Then you get hurt. Then you beat LSU in Ruston?! Then you earn the Friday night role?! I'm sorry, that's the freaking dream.

- Fincher hasn't been the Fincher of 2021 for most of the year, but I'd take a 3.50 era from anyone on the staff. A lot of folks are down on him, but that's what comes with expectations. If he wasn't any good, then no one would care. Also, he's been battling a hamstring for quite a while. Game on the line, I'd trust him on the bump over anyone except Crigger.

- Ryan Harland, dude was massive. Tech wouldn't be 38-18 without him.

- Finally, I'm pretty hard on Lane Burroughs at times. I might not know as much as I think I do, but I'll get ticked off at times. However, he's the HC. It's his program. Program has never been this high, arguably in its history. Especially from an expectations standpoint. He deserves a lot of credit. Wins & losses are where he's ultimately judged, but I think it says a lot when all the players talk about how much they love playing for him. The culture in that locker room is tight. That ain't normal. We got a good man and a good baseball coach leading this program.

Why did I just type all this out? I have no idea. I guess I'm bored, but that series win at Charlotte jacked me up. What are some of your thoughts now that the regular season has concluded?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News