ADVERTISEMENT

FB RECRUITING Near-Term Class Ranking Goal

rhshirley

Hall of Famer
Jan 17, 2008
Dallas
247 Sports has LaTech ranked 86th in its 2016 composite class ranking. Various peers are ranked as follows:

Houston (40)
Temple (57)
Marshall (62)
Boise (67)
W. Michigan (69)
SMU (72)
UMass (78)
San Jose St. (85)
ArkySt (91)

Given our current budget, the State restrictions on university autonomy, our conference, our small town location, our student body size, and our history, what is a realistic annual goal for football's recruiting class ranking?

Among the P5's, Virginia (60), Colorado (68), Illinois (71), Rutgers (74), Boston College (75), Purdue (79), and Kansas (84), all seem within our reach.

Is there anything that Marshall is doing that we can emulate (and would be willing)? Besides a greater number of recruits, which boosts their ranking to some unknown degree (to me), what is Marshall selling to recruits? Are they taking more "troubled" kids? Do they simply have a better formula for selling Marshall to recruits? Is Huntinton an easier sell than Ruston?

It seems to me that a ranking between 60 and 70 is an achievable goal. What efforts might be the most effective in increasing our ability to attract a greater number of higher ranking recruits? I feel like we assembled a respectable class that addressed needs and yet we find ourselves in the bottom half of total D-1 class rankings and 24 positions behind Marshall. What are your collective thoughts?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News